Baileys Harbor Range Lights Rascal
About the Book:
Willie and Charlie Larson lived at the Baileys Harbor Range Lights from 1882-1888. Their father, Captain George Larson, was the Lighthouse Keeper. Their mother, Gertrude, was originally from Racine, WI, and the family returned there after their time in Baileys Harbor. In this book, Baileys Harbor Range Lights Rascal, the boys find an injured crow they name “Rascal,” who follows the boys activities and becomes an important part of their adventures in Baileys Harbor. This fictitious tale takes our readers back to the 1880’s in Baileys Harbor and is a fun adventure with a happy ending. The Baileys Harbor Range Lights are located at what is now known as The Ridges.
Thank you — and enjoy Baileys Harbor Range Lights Rascal!
BAILEYS HARBOR RANGE LIGHTS HISTORY
In 1848 Captain Justice Bailey came in along the western shore of Lake Michigan to find shelter from a storm. He landed in a small harbor which was later named for him. His men explored the area and discovered lots of pine, cedar and mixed hardwoods and limestone. When Captain Bailey returned to his home port of Milwaukee, he reported to his employer Alanson Sweet about the plentiful supply of lumber and stone south of death’s door.
In the years that followed Alanson Sweet invested in the area. A pier and sawmill were constructed and a stone quarry was opened. Log homes were built and the settlement named Bailey’s Harbor became established. Mr. Sweet petitioned the Federal Government to construct a lighthouse to help direct mariners to the dock in the newly formed village. The Baileys Harbor Lighthouse, also known as the “birdcage” lighthouse, was built in 1852 in a location that made it difficult for ships to safely enter the harbor. In 1867, the Lighthouse Service inspector recommended erecting range lights to guide ships into the harbor more easily. The Baileys Harbor Upper and Lower Range Lights were built in 1869 at a cost of $6,000 to replace the Baileys Harbor Lighthouse.